302062 Development Manager
Duties & Responsibilities
The Harvard Graduate School of Education seeks a visionary inclusive leader with exceptional judgment, strong communication skills, and the ability to work collaboratively with internal and external constituencies. Reporting to the Dean, the Senior Associate Dean for Development and Alumni Relations will be a talented and highly successful fundraiser and an exceptional leader and manager of people who will oversee and manage a group of development professionals. She/he will be innovative, focused, and will strategically lead all aspects of fundraising, alumni and donor relations for HGSE. The Senior Associate Dean will be a highly valued and visible resource and partner to HGSE's Dean, senior leadership, faculty, and researchers, educators, and administrative colleagues. We seek a creative and collaborative fundraising professional who can identify and tap non-traditional sources, as well as foundations, corporations, international prospects and our alumni base to grow the School in support of its mission to prepare leaders in education and to generate knowledge to improve student opportunity, achievement, and success. The Senior Associate Dean will develop an overall development and alumni relations strategic plan with multiple components to target various needs across the School. As the leader of the development and alumni relations staff, she/he will also utilize best practices in management, including an annual review and planning process.
- lead the strategic expansion of the fundraising program, and position the School to raise significant money to shape and support the School's mission;
- guide and support the Dean in her development role, serving as co-strategist in cultivating and soliciting leading gifts to the school; ensure that the Dean is well-briefed and that her time spent is highly productive and rewarding; guide and support others including faculty in development activities;
- strategically engage HGSE's many constituents, including donors, alumnae and the other schools of the University, and members of the larger Harvard community;
- leverage diversity as a core value to effectively recruit, orient, supervise, develop, assess and manage department staff;
- provide strategic leadership to the office in the research, identification, cultivation, and solicitation of individual, corporate, and foundation donors;
- ensure the collection and utilization of data to monitor the progress of efforts to inform future strategy and activities;
- creatively tap alumni base and connect with them to form meaningful and long-lasting relationships with the School;
- help plan for and execute the School's centennial celebration, with the goal of engaging constituents in a longer-term fundraising plan;
- cultivate strong relationships with School faculty and researchers to connect them and their work with potential donors;
- build strong relationships with peers among Harvard's schools as well as Harvard's University Development Office
- raise major and principal gifts up to and including the $1M+ level;
- ensure that the development and alumni relations team utilizes industry best-practices as well as shared University resources;
, Senior Associate Dean for Development and Alumni Relations Harvard Graduate School of Education 48370BR Job Code 302062 Development Manager Duties & Responsibilities The Harvard Graduate School of Education seeks a visionary inclusive leader wi
Bachelor's degree and at least 10 years' progressively responsible leadership experience. Prior experience managing and supervising employees.
Position requires extensive overnight travel, weekend and evening work required.
- Applicants wishing to be considered must supply a cover letter in addition to their resume.
- Any applicant wishing to be considered for this position must indicate that they meet all of the basic requirements in either cover letter or resume.
- Please attach the cover letter and resume as one document.
Advanced degree preferred as is experience leading a development function in a higher education environment; demonstrated ability to build, lead and motivate a successful team and provide strong fiscal management and stewardship; demonstrated success at developing school-wide strategies aimed at advancing the mission, building relationships, and working with key partners and stakeholders; proven success in using entrepreneurial and creative approaches and strategies to identify new sources of potential donors and funds; excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to communication a passion for education and the School's mission.
The successful candidate will be an entrepreneur as well as creative and proactive in her/his approach in strategic planning and have the ability to quickly forge strong relationships with key donors, alumni, faculty, and others. Demonstrate the ability to lead and motivate; the ability to work as part of a dynamic, collegial senior leadership team.
We regret that the Harvard Graduate School of Education does not provide Visa sponsorship.
About the Harvard Graduate School of Education:
Many choose to work at the Harvard Graduate School of Education because they believe in our mission and are excited by our vision for the future. We have a reputation as a great place to work, for our excellent leadership, and we are a strong community which values diversity. For more information about HGSE, its programs, research, and faculty, please visit: www.gse.harvard.edu
Job Function: Alumni Affairs and Development
Location: USA - MA - Cambridge
Department: Development and Alumni Relations
Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Pre-Employment Screening: Education, Identity
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.