Job Title: Dean, College of Nursing and Health Sciences
Department: Ruth S. Coleman College of Nursing and Health Sciences
Reports To: Vice President of Academic Affairs
Prepared Date: February 2019
Summary: Cardinal Stritch University, founded and sponsored by the Sisters of St. Francis of Assisi, has been committed to the mission of transforming lives and communities through servant leadership, learning and service for more than 80 years. The Franciscan Values of Creating a Caring Community, Showing Compassion, Reverencing Creation and Making Peace not only guide the community's daily interactions, but also frame the University's programs. The Franciscan Values are tangibly reflected in Ruth S. Coleman College of Nursing and Health Sciences, which has served as a model for professionalism and exceptional patient care for more than 40 years.
The Dean of the College of Nursing and Health Sciences, who will have the responsibility of guiding the College in a new chapter of growth and success, is expected to exhibit exceptional leadership and management qualities, offer a visionary and innovative approach to the practice of nursing in the 21st Century across multi-generational and diverse communities, and serve as a key University leader in a rapidly changing higher education ecosystem.
On a daily basis, the Dean will be expected to establish a supportive climate within the College that is defined by academic excellence, collaborative engagement and outstanding pedagogy. In addition to strengthening strategic alliances within the Stritch Community for the purpose of identifying donor support and gift prospects. The Dean also will be expected to be an articulate spokesperson and advocate for the College by building critical partnerships with key external constituents that will ensure the continuation of the College's leadership role in the Greater Milwaukee Community and across the State.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty in accordance with the standards established by the University. Those otherwise qualified to perform the essential duties of this position may request reasonable accommodations to assist in the performance of those duties.
- Provides overall leadership that will support an environment of excellence in the College
- Guides the College in strategic planning, an understanding of the trends in nursing and health sciences education, and the implementation expected academic and operational outcomes
- Works with faculty and staff to ensure that the academic quality and integrity of all programs are sustained over the long term
- Responsible for fiscal planning, budgeting, and management of financial resources
- Works closely with the Business Office and the financial analyst assigned to the College
- Reviews and approves contracts and faculty/staff assignments for the College
- Addresses faculty issues/grievances according to College and University guidelines
- Ensures compliance with all applicable federal and state laws governing nursing and health sciences education
- Oversight of the relationship with applicable accrediting organizations
- Ensures that the College adheres to all applicable standards for excellence in the practice of nursing and health sciences
- Supervises the development and application of policies and procedures for operations and staff
- Ensures that all students enrolled in the College's programs have access to academic advising and other support services necessary for their academic development and success
- Leads the College in growth efforts aimed at recruiting, advancing, and maintaining a diverse learning community of faculty, staff and students
- Directs efforts to support and retain effective faculty and staff
- Completes performance evaluations for Associate Deans, direct reports, Department/Program Chairs, and staff as appropriate
- Coordinates all faculty and staff evaluations
- Mentors faculty (in collaboration with program chairs/associate deans) in the process of applying for promotion and tenure
- Promotes diversity in the work/educational environment r
- Provides visibility and develops appropriate relationships with the external constituencies at the local, state and regional level
- Coordinates marketing initiatives, including fund and friend raising for the College, with applicable University partners
- Cultivates the development of a College Advisory Council that will provide effective and candid guidance regarding the programs, initiatives and opportunities undertaken by the College
Internal Relations within the University:
- Ensures that the College's adherence to the University's mission and Franciscan Values is reflected in the College's interactions across the Stritch Community with Other duties as assigned
- The Dean of the College of Nursing will oversee the following:
- Master of Science Program Faculty
- Bachelor of Science Program Faculty
- Health Sciences Program Faculty
- Assistant to the Dean
- Learning Resources Center Staff
Education and/or Experience:
- Doctorate in Nursing.
- Record of excellence in teaching, scholarship, and/or professional activity to meet the qualifications for assignment of faculty rank of Associate or Professor, and qualify for tenure
- A minimum of three years of successful progressive academic leadership experience, for example, as Dean or Associate Dean in higher education
- Demonstrated achievement in research
- Significant experience in ensuring accreditation is effectively met and successfully reported to the accrediting body of an organization.
- Exceptional written, oral and interpersonal communication skills required
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals
- Must have a thorough understanding of accounting principles
- Exemplary skills in independent decision-making and critical thinking
- Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, etc.)
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Current RN license in the state of WI/Eligible for licensure in the state of WI
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with program planning and assessment
- Understanding of the importance of enrollment goals and standards
- Use of technology
- Delivery of distance learning is essential
- Significant experience in leading organizational change at a senior administrative level in an academic setting
- The Dean's position will require a seasoned, creative, and energetic individual who has a deep commitment to quality graduate and undergraduate education in Nursing and the Health Sciences
- Proven record of success in leading a broad-based strategic vision for academic programs
- Commitment to working with colleagues to develop a university culture connected to diverse communities
- Demonstrated knowledge of curriculum development and instructional methodologies
- Demonstrated leadership skills related to management of faculty, hiring personnel, budgeting, staff development, accreditation processes and program/departmental evaluation
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Those otherwise qualified to perform the essential duties of this position may request reasonable accommodations to assist in the performance of those duties.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, and reach
- The employee is occasionally required to stoop, crouch or bend
- The employee must be able to lift up to 15 lbs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Those otherwise qualified to perform the essential duties of this position may request reasonable accommodations to assist in the performance of those duties. The work environment for this position is a
Please send your resume, cover letter to: Human Resources
Subject line: Position Title - Last name, First name
This position will require the successful completion of a criminal background check prior to employment. In compliance with Federal Law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.