Utah State University (USU) invites nominations and applications for a significant academic leadership position as Dean of the College of Science.
The College of Science at USU is a dynamic and innovative academic unit comprising of six departments: Biology, Chemistry and Biochemistry, Computer Science, Geosciences, Mathematics and Statistics, and Physics.
- Provide dynamic administrative and intellectual leadership for the College of Science.
- Actively participate in and collaborate with fundraising and alumni relations efforts to foster a culture of giving and provide gratifying engagement experiences for the College of Science and USU constituents.
- Promote and facilitate the expansion of, and access to research infrastructure and activities, including the active pursuit of external funding.
- Effectively recruit undergraduate and graduate students to include domestic, international, and underrepresented groups, and support them towards achieving a high-quality science education throughout the USU campus system.
- Foster interdisciplinary collaboration in research and teaching within, and outside, the college.
- Creatively recruit and retain excellent faculty and students into the college.
- Advocate for diversity, equity and inclusion while providing leadership and accountability in these areas within the college and throughout the university.
- Promote and facilitate high-quality educational programs for students in the College of Science.
- Build and maintain a leadership team that will effectively manage college resources.
- Effectively represent the College of Science on the university’s academic leadership team.
- Maintain a close working relationship with department heads and faculty, fostering collegiality at all levels.
- Foster professional development of faculty and staff, and academic success of students.
- Effectively represent, and proactively expand the needs and vision of the College of Science to the broader community, including underrepresented groups.
- Foster collaboration with other university entities such as the Utah State University Research Foundation.
- Academic credentials sufficient for appointment to the rank of Full Professor in a science or closely related discipline.
- Outstanding leadership experience in the academic or research community.
- Demonstrated ability to foster an environment of professional growth for faculty, staff, and students.
- Appreciation for the diversity of disciplines and roles represented within the College and a commitment to sustain and promote their excellence.
- Commitment to excellence in undergraduate and graduate education.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- A record of strong investment in and advocacy for diversity, inclusivity, and equity across all spectra of the College.
- Have the ability to establish successful partnerships within the University and with key government and industry partners.
- Demonstrated commitment to collaborative fundraising.
- A willingness to develop the skills necessary for implementing and executing successful donor engagement and gift acquisition strategies.
- An appreciation of, and commitment to, the land-grant and space-grant missions of the university.
- Administrative experience in a Carnegie doctoral high research university system.
- Experience promoting innovation in research in areas of emerging science.
- Supportive of developing innovative educational programs using contemporary and evolving delivery methods.
- Supportive of interdisciplinary programs related to science.
- Appreciation of the role of regional campuses in providing educational access and of Extension in service to Utah citizens.
- Experience with capital campaigns, major gift acquisitions, and high-functioning advancement boards.
- Demonstrated ability to secure external funding through contracts and grants.
Along with the online application, please attach:
1. Resume to be uploaded in the Candidate Profile
2. Cover Letter to be typed/pasted in a text box at the end of application
Please do not attach cover letter in the Candidate Profile; you will be instructed to copy and paste this later on in the application.
**Document size may not exceed 10 MB.**
Advertised Salary: Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience plus excellent benefits ADA:
Employees work indoors and are protected from weather and/or contaminants, but not, necessarily, occasional temperature changes. The employee is regularly required to sit and often uses repetitive hand motions.
For more information, please visit https://www.usu.edu/science
Utah State University (USU) was founded in 1888 and is honored to be Utah’s land-grant and space-grant university. USU is a Carnegie RU/H (Research University/High Research Activity) institution with approximately 27,800 students (24,660 undergraduates and 3,140 graduate students) on the Logan main campus. Utah State’s statewide system features eight campuses and 23 education centers and serves all counties in the state with Extension programs. USU offers 165 undergraduate majors, 138 graduate programs, and a variety of innovative stackable associate and certificate credentials. Washington Monthly ranked USU 14th in their national university rankings in 2019 and the 5th best public national university in the nation in 2018. As one of the two premier research institutions in Utah, USU is proud to provide a high-quality education at an affordable price. Additional information about Utah State University can be found here.
A core characteristic of USU is engagement with communities and people in economic development, improvements to quality of life, and human capital. Through the practical application of knowledge, the University and its faculty engage and share expertise with the state, nation, and world, preserving the historical land-grant tradition of partnering with communities to address critical societal issues in the interest of the public good.
The USU main campus is located in beautiful Logan, Utah; a city of about 50,000 situated in a picturesque mountain valley about 80 miles north of Salt Lake City. Outstanding recreational opportunities abound in the nearby mountains and proximate region.
Notice of Non-discrimination
In its programs and activities, including in admissions and employment, Utah State University does not discriminate or tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by University policy, Title IX, or any other federal, state, or local law.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations and/or USU’s non-discrimination policies:
Executive Director of the Office of Equity
Alison Adams-Perlac, firstname.lastname@example.org, Old Main Rm. 161, 435-797-1266
Title IX Coordinator
Hilary Renshaw, email@example.com, Old Main Rm. 161, 435-797-1266
For further information regarding non-discrimination, please visithttps://equity.usu.edu/, or contact:
U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 800-421-3481, OCR@ed.gov
U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, 303-844-5695, OCR.Denver@ed.gov
USU is sensitive to the needs of dual career couples and provides a Dual Career Assistance program to support careers for partners who are also seeking employment.