Dean of Arts and Sciences
River Grove, IL
Triton College, a comprehensive two year institution located in a near western suburb of Chicago, is seeking a Dean of Arts and Sciences to join our team.
The Dean provides overall leadership for the School of Arts and Sciences, ensuring quality learner centered general education instruction and assisting chairpersons and faculty to achieve their departmental missions and objectives. Other major functions include supervision of faculty, recommending new and revised courses and curricula, developing and maintaining effective partnerships with area high schools and universities, and assisting in complex problem solving.
1. Provide leadership in the establishment and maintenance of educational agreements with high schools and four year institutions. Attend and participate in various meetings with high schools and universities, and with local, regional and national organizations.
2. Supervise the activities of chairpersons to ensure that departmental missions and objectives are met including the maintenance of a current quality instructional program.
3. Evaluate tenured and non tenured full-time faculty and adjunct faculty.
4. Participate in selection of new full-time and adjunct faculty. Assure appropriate academic preparation and assess teaching abilities.
5. Assist in and promote staff development in the School of Arts and Sciences.
6. Prepare and manage the area budget.
7. Promote academic achievement through the establishment and implementation an ongoing system to review existing equipment and facilities, and develop an equipment replacement schedule.
8. Provide leadership which ensures that the needs of all arts and sciences students are met through quality instruction and support services.
9. Provide excellent administration of extra curricular activities and events under School of Arts and Sciences sponsorship.
10. Develop, with department chairpersons, area goals and assessment and program review activities including the annual program review for arts and sciences programs.
11. Provide leadership in the assessment of the general education learning outcomes.
12. Ensure that the transfer functions and records of arts and sciences courses are properly maintained.
13. Collaborate with faculty staff and administrators in the continuous assessment of the School of Arts and Sciences and in the instructional planning process.
14. Actively participate in college-wide committees as well as in professional activities on local, regional and national levels.
15. Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Master's degree in a subject area taught, (doctorate preferred).
Must have five years higher education teaching experience. Experience in curriculum, and innovative program development and assessment preferred.
An established record of excellent teaching at a community college or senior institution, 5 years senior administrative experience as department head or above in higher education.
Support personnel in the two year community college environment. Excellent communication skills. Excellent planning and project management skills. Ability to appreciate, understand and work effectively with diverse population.
To apply, please visit our website at:
Triton College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution.